College of Science
Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Scholarship
- Endow the deanship to advance the strategic vision of the college and support programs and projects that exemplify the college’s standard of excellence.
- Endow chairs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education, biotechnology, clinical lab sciences, and global climate change.
- Ensure teaching excellence in emerging programs such as medical informatics, applied physics, biofuels, alternative energy, open source computer science and applied mathematics/statistics, at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
An Investment in Students
- Invest in shared teaching and research equipment tailored to our technology-dependent college, including new computer labs in computer science, geology and chemistry, and smart classrooms.
- Provide scholarship/research support to attract the brightest, most talented students.
- Establish a Student Success Center to advise and support science students, STEM students, underrepresented minorities, and women with scholarly and leadership potential.
Gateway to Silicon Valley and Beyond
- Establish a Center for STEM Education: A one-of-a-kind hub of resources in the South Bay, the center will provide student scholarships, sustainable programs, and ongoing professional development for middle and high school teachers. Co-sponsored by the colleges of engineering and education.
- Ongoing professional development for middle and high school teachers, as well as exemplary services make it a one-of-a-kind resource hub in the South Bay.
Endowed and expendable funds can be used to support the College of Science in this campaign. Examples include:
- Deanship $3 million
- Chair $2 million
- Professorship $1 million
- Scholarships $25,000+
- Center for STEM Education $5 million
- Centers of Excellence $3 to $10 million
- Opportunity Fund $100,000+
- Programmatic support $100,000+
- Classrooms/facilities $50,000+