College of Humanities and the Arts
Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Scholarship
- Endow professorships, chairs and lectureships to attract and retain world-class faculty in areas such as English, visual arts and foreign languages.
- Endow a deanship to support the college’s vision and catapult strategic initiatives.
- Establish Artist-in-Residency Program to attract renowned artists to teach, mentor, and represent the college and the university locally, regionally and globally in such areas as literature and visual and performing arts.
An Investment in Students
- Endow scholarships and graduate fellowships to attract the nation’s most creative and talented students.
Gateway to Silicon Valley and Beyond
- Establish Centers of Excellence that engage in cutting-edge research and technology, partner with industry professionals, and strengthen outstanding faculty initiatives, including a Human Language Technology Center and a Center for Comparative Philosophy.
- Strengthen existing centers that promote and enhance the role of humanities and the arts in our local and global communities, including the Center for Literary Arts, the Beethoven Center and the Steinbeck Center.
- Encourage global exchange to facilitate study abroad and research exchange programs for students and faculty and host foreign scholars, artists and luminaries to campus.
Endowed and expendable funds can be used to support the College of Humanities and the Arts in this campaign. Examples include:
- Deanship $3 million
- Chair $2 million
- Professorship $1 million
- Scholarships $25,000+
- Centers of Excellence $3 to $10 million
- Opportunity Fund $100,000+
- Programmatic support $100,000+
- Classrooms and facilities $50,000+