Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Scholarship
- Endowed “Alumni Legends” speaker series as part of telling our story to the next generation of Spartans, the Alumni Association has to be involved in helping students see the value of their degree through the paths of those who have walked before them. Engaging out students in the legacy stories of our Spartan legends assists in student retention, campus pride, and future engagement as they graduate. This endowment would fund a minimum of six speakers per year.
- Endowed life-long learning programming providing a learning environment that engages the entire campus community, these events would engage our faculty and alumni as instructors while providing opportunities for the campus community to acquire knowledge. Programming would happen throughout the year with a capstone experience during Homecoming week, entitled “Classes Without Quizzes”.
Investment in Students
- Endowed study abroad scholarship support to provide opportunities for students to enrich their experience through the power of study abroad. These experiences will help make San José State University students more marketable to future employers by adding a global lens to their educational experience. The Alumni Association will send a group of 10 students a year abroad. These students will blog about their experiences on the Alumni Association website.
- Endowed graduate and undergraduate scholarship support in our scholarship program that will be used to enrich the undergraduate experience. This will include scholarship support covering a full year of fees at San José State University. We hope to endow two scholarships per college. Each of these scholarships will be awarded to graduate and undergraduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.5 and a demonstrated portfolio of community service.
The Gateway to Silicon Valley and Beyond
- Alumni Center naming opportunity for the creation of San José State University’s first Alumni Center. The center would serve as the alumni portal for campus. With 200,000 living alumni and a tradition that extends back 151 years, SJSU needs a space to honor and recognize our alumni accomplishments. Alumni, donors, friends, would have a space of their own while visiting campus. The center would provide opportunities for alumni to use business meeting space, wifi access, event rental for birthdays or marriages, and alumni programming space.
- Endowed programmatic support for cultural and interest based groups. San José State University has been pluralistic since 1993. Now more than ever we need to deepen and strengthen our relationship with alumni from various cultures and interests. This includes funds to provide cultural specific programming to the University that engage both alumni and students while also offering awareness opportunities for all. This includes funds to bring visiting scholars to campus and global research projects.
- Endowed regional program support to offer life-long learning programmatic support to regional areas where there are large numbers of San José State University alumni. These endowed programmatic funds would provide alumni in regional areas a continued connection to their alma mater as well as engaged prospective students in the “excellence in teaching” at the university.
Endowed and expendable funds can be used to support the San José State University Alumni Association. Examples include:
- Alumni Center Naming $5 million
- Endowed Alumni Legends Speaker Series $1 million
- Endowed Life-long Learning Programming $1 million
- Endowed Programmatic Support for Cultural and Interest-based Groups $250,000
- Endowed Regional Program Support $250,000
- Endowed Study Abroad Scholarships $150,000
- Endowed Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarships $300,000